According to a Gallup poll, overweight or obese full-time workers miss 450 million more days of work each year than healthy-weight workers, costing businesses over $153 billion or 1% of total US GDP annually in lost productivity.
The Journal of the American Medical Association estimates that workplace wellness programs return savings of $3 to $6 for every $1 spent. Obese workers are 1.7 times more likely to experience a high level of absenteeism, defined as six or more absences over a six-month period.
Companies with wellness programs see a 26% reduction in the use of health insurance benefits and a 28% reduction in the use of sick leave.
The list of co-morbid conditions related to obesity and overweight is alarmingly long. Research has shown that as weight increases to the levels of overweight and obesity, the risks for the following conditions increase dramatically:
- Coronary heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Dyslipidemia (high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
- Stroke, Liver disease, Gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of joint cartilage and underlying bone)
- Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)
If your overweight employees suffer from co-morbid conditions, our program can help.
Results drawn from data collected at our clinics show that California Medical Weight Management program participants lose an average of 3–5 pounds per week during the initial rapid weight loss step.* In conjunction with this rapid weight loss, many co-morbid conditions also simultaneously improve.